Saturday, January 15, 2011
Cebu all set for Sunday's Sinulog
MANILA, Philippines – Cebu City is all set for the Sinulog festival set for Sunday, January 17, to honor the Child Jesus or Señor Sto. Niño, the city's patron saint.
As part of their annual tradition, the Cebuanos held a fluvial procession for Señor Santo Niño on Saturday morning.
In addition to this, a solemn procession is set to happen this Saturday afternoon.
Meantime, rehearsals are underway for the Sinulog grand parade on Sunday, which will cover 5 kilometers and will be held the whole day, from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. It will culminate in a fireworks display at 8 p.m.
According to local officials, they expect crowds to be bigger than last year when an estimated 2 million people were believed to have attended the festival.
President Benigno Aquino III is expected to attend this year's festivities.
With everything set for the Sinulog festival, the event’s organizers claimed that activities will push through tomorrow no matter what the weather will be like.
The parade will pass through 10 barangays: Carreta, Day-As, Capitol Site, Sambag 2, Kamagayan, Cogon-Ramos, Santa Cruz, Pahina Central, San Antonio, and Lorega.
“We expect a rise in tourist arrivals, foreign and local. The new Archbishop Jose Palma will be officiating the mass. The President has confirmed he will be passing and he will be joining the celebration,” said Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama.
Meanwhile, the Catholic church called on the public to give respect and importance to the solemnity of the events as the feast of Santo Niño is really all about them.
“This is not a party...this is a celebration of our faith to Sto. Niño,” said Father Tito Soquino of the Basilica del Sto. Niño. – With Reports from ANC and Reno Tallada, ABS-CBN News, Cebu